Fermentation locks - two questions

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermentation locks - two questions

Postby Mr Pete on Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:38 pm

I note that there are two main types of fermentation lock; those with an main chamber into which another piece is inserted, and those with two separate chambers linked by a pipe beneath. Is there a benefit to one over the other?

Also, I'm using the type with two separate chambers and the pipe beneath atm for the first time (I'm making mead), and I notice that it isn't bubbling, but the gas from the ferment is pushing the water completely out of the first chamber. Is this normal, and will it rectify itself?

Thanks.
Mr Pete

Re: Fermentation locks - two questions

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 am

Topologically, they're the same. (And also basically the same as the trap built into your home toilet or u-pipe under your sink drain.) We own both types of water-locks and haven't noticed any benefit to one over the other. Either one can dry out over time, though, so watch to make sure that doesn't happen if you're leaving them.

With your current mead, how do you know it isn't bubbling and what is it you want to be fixed? If I'm imagining what you're describing correctly, then your yeast are giving off gasses, causing the pressure in the carboy to increase. As this happens, it pushes down on the surface of the water closest to the mead. As a result, the water in the lock is shoved "outward". When the gas builds up enough pressure, it'll push the water in the lock outward enough that a tiny bit more gas, will push up, around the final U-bend and bubble up the column of water and out into your house. So bubbles might be happening already, just not frequently enough that you're seeing them. Did I get anything wrong?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Mr Pete on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:36 pm

Thanks Christopher. I think you're right - although I did sit staring at it for 15 minutes yesterday without seeing any bubbles exit it (my wife, however, thought I'd finally lost my mind).

I guess my concern was that I'd seen videos of them working, and they seemed much more active. Pressure forcing the water out of the chamber evenly does make sense.

Thanks again.
Mr Pete

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:13 am

Is it a wild fermentation?

It's worth noting that when I've fermented honey, the bubbling is way, way slower than grape or strawberry must or apples in sugar-water. And also, that using a commercial yeast produces astronomically faster bubbles than does any wild fermentation -- at least in my house.

My wild meads and ciders have been kind of unimpressive flavors, but I was usually able to get them going and a long slow bubble will still get you alcohol.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Mr Pete on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:09 am

Being my first alcohol ferment (other than one of the kits in a can from BigW) I tried starting it off as a wild ferment, but was destined for failure as it was in a carboy with only a narrow opening.

As this was really just playing around with it, I added some generic "beer yeast" and thing started happening. It's now well on the way, and the airlock has started bubbling about once every 5 seconds, so all is good.

I hope to grab some more equipment over the next couple of days and start methodically making mead, keeping notes, selecting particular varieties of honey, etc. As for tonight, a few bags of chillies are headed for a brine solution for fermentation and I'll be checking the bacon I started dry curing a few days ago.

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.
Mr Pete

Return to Alcohol Ferments