Smerka Beer

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Smerka Beer

Postby Choob on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 am

I am Planning to make a Smerka "Beer" (its not really beer because it has no Hops or grain). The intention is for it to be like a traditional Smerka recipe but more alcoholic like a beer/cider.

My question is how exactly to proceed.
So far I'm thinking:
Boil water
Add sugar and dissolve
Remove from heat
add cracked or crushed juniper berries
Let steep/cool
add Safale US-05 American Ale Yeast.
put in fermenter for not sure how long, probably a week or two.

Does this sound like a good plan? any suggestions for improvement?

I am also thinking about making an actual beer (probably a clone of eagle creek's spot tail) and adding juniper berries to it. Any thoughts or suggestions about that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Choob
Choob

Re: Smerka Beer

Postby khoomeizhi on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:50 am

Is there a particular reason you're not going for wild yeast?
khoomeizhi

Re: Smerka Beer

Postby bjdmytro on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:57 pm

I have never had a good outcome with sugar in a beer. For me, it always makes a very harsh brew. I've made something very similar to what you are making. I used water, pale malt, juniper branches, and red star ale yeast. I fermented at about 50F, and then bottle conditioned it to make it carbonated. The result was piney, tart, bitter, and effervescent, with a clean crisp finish. Aside from your sugar choice, what you have in mind sounds good. Perhaps you could try apple juice and juniper. I've also had good results from that combination. There are many recipes like this in Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation.
bjdmytro

Return to Alcohol Ferments