Colonche - fermented prickly pear juice

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Colonche - fermented prickly pear juice

Postby grrlscout on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:25 pm

I wasn't sure if this goes here or under tonic ferments. Supposedly colonche is alcoholic, but only mildly so.

A friend of mine gave me some prickly pears, but he must have had them in the back of his truck for a week first. When I opened the box, I found the fruit half-rotten and splitting.

I took the best of the bunch, and put them in a bucket of water to soak. The next day, I noticed them fizzing.

I got the bright idea to ferment them into a beverage. I mashed them, strained the juice, and put it in a growler. I didn't think it had enough sugar, so I added a healthy squeeze of honey. I topped it off with an airlock.

Afterwards, I did some Googling, and found there is a traditional fermented beverage, made from prickly pear, called colonche.

The method to make it involves juicing the fruit and cooking it way down into a thick syrup -- I imagine to concentrate the sugars. Tibicos (water kefir grains) or a splash from the last batch may be added as a starter.

After I read this, after setting a small amount aside, I poured the juice and honey back into the pot, and simmered it down. I didn't have enough time to let it get down to a syrup state.

Once it cooled, I added back the bit that I set aside, and put into a crock, covered with a grain bag.

Overnight, it developed a bubbly scum on top:

I scooped it off, and by the end of the day, it was back full force.

Is this mold or just the yeasts bubbling away? Should I leave it or just let it be?

Thanks!
grrlscout

Re: Colonche - fermented prickly pear juice

Postby Cosmic Frog on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 am

I wish I knew more about this! How's it looking now?
Brian
Cosmic Frog

Postby grrlscout on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:50 pm

I was out of town for the weekend. I'll let you know when I get back!

Btw, I found out the scum is a pellicle. Brettanomyces yeast (which lives on fruit skins) probably took it over. I'm not sure what that will mean for the final product.
grrlscout

Postby grrlscout on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:42 am

I came home to find the scum still there, and it has a definite vinegar smell. Oh well. I strained it and bottled it. I will give it a taste when I work up some nerve.

Also while I was gone, my water kefir grains arrived in the mail. As soon as I get a chance, I'll pick some prickly pears, and give it another go, following the instructions this time.
grrlscout

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:37 pm

It may not strictly be Bret. Some Saccharomyces (wine/beer yeast) strains also form a pellicle, and this is not necessarily a bad sign. Of course, if it's vinegary, you got some bacteria in there...maybe something resident on the prickly pear fruits. Prickly pear, FYI, is the origin of tibicos, a.k.a. water kefir.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby grrlscout on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks, Tim!

I've written off that first batch as vinegar.

But since then, I bought some water kefir grains, and made a tasty batch of raspberry lime ginger water kefir.

I also picked a fresh batch of prickly pears this morning. So, I'm emboldened to try again, this time, the correct way.
grrlscout

Return to Alcohol Ferments