mead or vinegar?

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

mead or vinegar?

Postby susies on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:41 pm

hi
I thought my raspberry mead had turned to vinegar, so i bottled it about a week ago. when i opened it today it exploded all over the place. is it truly vinegar yet, or can i save it somehow. still, as mead?
susies

Re: mead or vinegar?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:08 pm

How's it taste?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby susies on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:54 pm

it tastes a little sweet, somewhat like kombucha. it's actually delicious but only in a small dose.
susies

Postby FermentingYeti on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:27 am

First, if it exploded all over, you may want to rack it with an airlock and give it time to finish fermenting. I've bottled after a couple months in the secondary fermenter and still had corks pop. I have yet to have a bottle explode, but that's definitely something to avoid.

In answer to your question, if it tastes good, that's what's important. Wild fermented brews can have a vinegary taste to some, as they're using the same type of fermenting process as kombucha, cider, etc. I'm curious if others have managed to wild-ferment meads that didn't have at least some degree of vinegary flavor. I bottled a batch recently that I had relegated to vinegar and was labeling the bottles as such. My wife, who likes, drier, more tart flavors than I do said it was my best yet. So, it has a lot to do with taste preferences. Regardless, I'd say always go ahead and bottle and wait at least a year before trying. You'll know by then whether to give the rest more time to age or to go ahead and start using them as vinegar.
FermentingYeti

Return to Alcohol Ferments