Tej is turning strangely...

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Tej is turning strangely...

Postby pooja on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:16 am

Have some flower, fruit and herb Tejes and they bubbled well (esp. the fruit) and then i put them in jugs with balloons for carboys. perhaps i left them in too long and now the lemon balm and teh strawberry rubarb taste highly alcoholic to the point of rubbing alcholo-like smell (but still interesting though disturbing)....will these taste better after aging in smaller bottles? they and the flower tej esp. are also tasting vinegry- can i re-establish yeast over vinegar organisms or should i let the flower one turn into a vinegar?
pooja

Re: Tej is turning strangely...

Postby Tim Hall on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:40 pm

Once you've got vinegar, I'm pretty sure that's just what you got. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone overcoming an Acetobacter infection by pitching fresh yeast, and the flavor is not likely to age out. But on the bright side, the best vinegar I've ever had was from a batch of mead that didn't work out quite as planned.

The "rubbing-alcohol" character you're describing could be several things...maybe esters or other alcohols that will most likely mellow with age. It could also be ethyl acetate, which might indicate it's beginning to turn to vinegar also. You will probably just have to wait and see.

In the mean time be sure your fermenting vessels have a good airlock on them. It sounds like a little too much oxygen may have gotten to your brew. Also be sure to clean your vessels and utensils thoroughly before your next batch, unless you want to start with vinegar right away.

Am I answering too many of the questions here?

Edit: it is also possible that you have a LAB "infection." If your brew tastes sour, but doesn't smell of vinegar (you said it "tastes" of vinegar), it could be lactic acid from Lactobacilli. In which case you might chill it, sweeten it with some honey, and serve like spiked lemonade.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Re: Tej is turning strangely...

Postby pooja on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:23 am

hmmm yes that was all helpful. perhaps too much oxygen yes. perhaps lab. will wait and see. but am excited for whatever happens.
pooja

Return to Alcohol Ferments