coconut vinegar?

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

coconut vinegar?

Postby bravebird on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:47 pm

just bought two coconuts and thinking of making vinegar. the process would be simple right? crack coconuts, transfer coconut water to clean jar with cloth covered and mix 2-3x a day until the yeasties come...and keep going until it gets vinegary and then bottle?
anything else to it?
bravebird

Re: coconut vinegar?

Postby Marveen on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:00 pm

You'd think so but I've read it really hard to make, there is a pickle that is papaya and coconut vinegar among other things and it says it is really hard to make the coconut vinegar which is why the product is quite expensive but not sire if they just say that to justify the price or if it is true.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/atchara.htm
Marveen

Postby bravebird on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Well my experiment has been going for about a week and now there is a thin white layer on top. Its not yet clear but has been very bubbly. Have it covered with mesh and not to sure what to do with it now, lol.
bravebird

Postby wild_culture on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:08 am

Hi,

I haven't actually made vinegar before, but I would have thought that you could buy some unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar or Coconut vinegar and use the culture & some of the liquid from that to brew your own coconut vinegar. That way you have a strong culture straight away.

I know you can use unpasteruized store bought ACV to make your own homemade ACV so I can't see why it couldn't work for coconut vinegar.
wild_culture

Postby TGimacountryboy on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:37 pm

bravebird wrote:Its not yet clear but has been very bubbly. . . . not to sure what to do with it now, lol.

Give it a taste!
TGimacountryboy

Return to Alcohol Ferments