Help with kefir

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Help with kefir

Postby rick78 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:00 am

Hi All,
I have been working with Kefir for a couple of months now and I have a couple questions I hope you can help with.
I started with two separate cultures. The first was a starter and really tasted good. I warmed the milk to 85C and left it out for 24hrs then 12hrs in the fridge. It was really creamy and tasty. However, the next few batches started to get more and more sour, with more curds and separation of the milk with whey on top. After each 12hrs in the fridge, I took about 3 tbls into the new liter of milk. The new milk was not warmed, but cold out of fridge. I cannot see any grains in this, and wonder if I am just drinking sour milk.
Am I doing this correct for each cycle?

My second culture is with fresh grains, and they are doing good. I started with cold milk and only a glass full. I am still seeing the same curds and separation and the cycle is the same 24 hours on the counter, then 12 hours in the fridge. I am doing a full liter of milk with this as well. I rinse the grains in cold water between batches, but do not warm the milk first.
Am I doing this correct?
My milk is organic, un-homogenized 0,5% (mini-milk).
I really would like it to be more creamy and not so much with the curds.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Best Regards,
Rick
rick78

Return to Dairy Ferments