room temp yoghurt to make hard cheese?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

room temp yoghurt to make hard cheese?

Postby WWFSM on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:11 pm

This may be a silly question, but I was wondering about making hard(ish) cheese using a room temp yoghurt starter like fil mjolk.

I've used fil mjolk to make all sorts of soft dairy products like yoghurt cheese, heated yoghurt cheese, cultured butter, spreadable cheese from the milk left over from making cultured butter. So I know it gives a good flavour. http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca/2013/11/some-amazing-things-you-can-make-with.html

When I read about making hard(ish) cheese, the instructions often have us adding a M---culture (not too hot/room temperature) then leaving it to culture before adding rennet for making the curdles. Adding the culture, according to some of the books, sours the milk and helps preserve the cheese.

Fil Mjolk is a M---whatever-that-word-is culture. It sours the milk and helps preserve it. Putting what I know about fil mjolk and the limited amount I know about cheese making together, I think that maybe it would work.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to make a specific kind of cheese - just one that keeps okay and tastes yummy. So, maybe I don't need one of those commercially prepared cultures? Or maybe I do. I don't know.

Once I get some rennet I'll give it a try, both the short term culturing and overnight to make a yoghurt, then follow regular instructions for making hard cheese. But I was wondering if anyone here had some thoughts on it or has tried this before?
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Dairy Ferments