tempeh bags

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

tempeh bags

Postby sniffingratty on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Hello everyone, I have been making tempeh for a while now and am looking for the best tempeh bags. So far I have been using ziplock bags with holes punched in them. The only problem is the time it takes to punch the holes, and the size of the bags is not ideal. I like the way the commercial tempeh comes in long thin bags so that you can cut it in half and have two good sandwich sized pieces. I also wonder how the commercial tempeh is made because it has no holes in the bags, so they must ferment it and then bag it after-wards, discarding whatever it was fermented in.

In short if you know of any places to get thinner bags, or bags that already have the air holes in them let me know; and if you know about the commercial process (or any other process) to ferment and then bag after-wards I would love to hear about it.

Thanks -Seth
sniffingratty

Re: tempeh bags

Postby Jonathan_Byron on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:08 pm

If you are going to make lots of tempeh, you might want to develop an automated way of punching holes. Start by thinking of a board the size of the plastic bag you use, with 50 or 100 evenly spaced nails or screws coming out of the board. Then you can think about a bottom board with holes that line up with the nails or screws. And to top it off, you could make a frame of some sort so the top board comes down in a controlled way - maybe using leverage, or with a weight on top.

It might take a few hours to build such a device, but it would quickly pay for itself in terms of the time saved.
Jonathan_Byron

Return to Legume Ferments