a cheesy question

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

a cheesy question

Postby Ablot on Tue May 16, 2017 8:12 am

The 'cheese-' in question is chickpea cheese.

I have replaced the ingredient miso with sourdough and honey.

The recipe calls for me to store the cheese in an open but covered ceramic croc. I am instructed to wait until there is a tangy taste then it should be able to be eaten.

However, I prefer a more solid feel and a 'mature' taste, so I have held off from eating it.

After two days there is an overpowering smell and the crust has begun to change to a pale pink. I removed the crust and tasted the cheese - hmm, pleasantly tangy but very light in texture. So I have put thecheese into a muslin then into an ancient cheese drainer ... which is incredibly efficient with whey immediately being expelled.

My question is - is this an appropriate way to harden it off and to change the flavour ... or will it go the way of my other cheese (sunflower seed), which became so smelly that I could not have it in the house (it would make a very useable CS gas!!) ... and it turned black!
Ablot

Re: a cheesy question

Postby bjdmytro on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm

I've done a similar method with soy and coconut cheeses. For these, I ferment for a day or two at 100F, with a starter culture. (I often use a couple tablespoons of the juice from my homemade sauerkraut.) Then I strain with cheese cloth for up to a week. It takes it about a day to get about the consistency of sour cream, and the strained whey can be used as a starter for the next batch or a great base for a tangy sauce. After about a week, it gets about the consistency of cream cheese. I've never gotten it more firm that this.
bjdmytro

Return to Legume Ferments