Incubator construction for natto and tempeh

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Incubator construction for natto and tempeh

Postby gaetano.caimano on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:53 am

hello everyone, I'm gaetano from Italy and a few months ago I started to devote myself to fermentation, especially the natto and soon i will start with tempeh. I built an incubator with a wooden box (as you can see in the photos). Inside the box I inserted two halogen lamps and two fans for the circulation of heat (by switching off the fans to the maximum the temperature on the opposite side where the sensor is positioned reaches 36 ° C). I noticed that the natto is more 'dry because of the fans that send air directly on the jars. How can I change the box to increase humidity especially when I have to do the tempeh? I thought of putting external fans (one from the side of the lamps that takes air from the outside and one from the opposite side that sends air outside); or I thought about inserting 4 fans on the cover (2 air in and 2 air out). Any suggestions based on your experiences?
Attachments
forum uno.jpg
forum uno.jpg (132.66 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
forum due.jpg
forum due.jpg (245.17 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
gaetano.caimano

Re: Incubator construction for natto and tempeh

Postby cerbu on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:00 pm

no need for fans, just use the box with the bulbs down , ceramic plate or some pot over them -- less light, better heat spread-- drill few holes beneath the lamps and few in the top. Insulate the box on the outside.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
cerbu

Return to Legume Ferments