Stinky Tofu/ Fermented Tofu

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Stinky Tofu/ Fermented Tofu

Postby Frank on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:37 pm

So I ended up with a huge surplus of plain old store-bought tofu, and I am considering fermenting it (shock!).

Has anyone experimented with fermenting tofu as in the popular chinese street food "stinky tofu"?

I am thinking of just mixing up a brine with some of my kimchi sauce as a starter culture, some fish sauce, and other funky flavorful ingredients and vegetables. I will let this brine ferment and get acidic before I put the tofu in to ferment. How does this sound?
Frank

Re: Stinky Tofu/ Fermented Tofu

Postby SimonFerments on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:30 pm

I'm not sure what mold the kimchi juice would have, but you could use tempeh starter (rhizopus oligosporus) to get things going. i think a basic recipe is sake, water, salt, rhizopus spores and tofu.

thats the recipe i used anyway.
SimonFerments

Postby daveinseattle on Thu May 17, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Frank,

I've also been considering making fermented tofu. Have you tried it yet? How did it go?

Dave
daveinseattle

Postby daveinseattle on Thu May 17, 2012 12:23 pm

SimonFerments,

How long did you let your tofu ferment?

Thanks,
Dave
daveinseattle

Postby uzadael on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm

I am going to try this but I am not finding a lot of recipes, Anyone seen anything?

Thanks in advance!
Dale
uzadael

Postby adaweawe on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:23 pm

http://www.food.com/recipe/fu-ju-fermen ... ut=desktop

thats one i found. need more. plz let me kno i wanna make sitnky tofu too

What I want to know is how we can just use store-bought tofu without worrying about the culture we use to ferment the tofu. The above recipe mentions no specific culture being added to the tofu and simply lets it sit in a container without being submerged in brine, until the final steps. Does this somehow inoculate the tofu initially with something floating in the air? In that case wouldn't matter the environment we attempt the sin because different locations may have different spores floating in the air.

It seems important in that recipe to let whatever culture develop on the surface of the tofu while it is in the "steamer pot" without being submerged in any brine.

I wouldn't think normal tofu bought from a store has any cultures in it because the soybeans are boiled before hand.

I'm not sure about the person who authored that recipe so I'm hesitant to say it's safe healthwise. But I'm more curious about what the specific bacterial/fungal organisms are required to make stinky tofu
adaweawe

Postby adaweawe on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:40 pm

I would also be careful of following some "Chinese" traditional stinky tofu recipes you find online because many of those are not very sanitary and they get away with it because their end product is deep-fried or boiled. They end up cooking the fermented product so it kills any harmful bacteria's.

There's an article on CNN I think talking about a leaked video of some street vendors in China using human feces to make stinky tofu. But knowing get sick because the stinky tofu gets deep-fried afterwards. Crazy stuff.
adaweawe

Return to Legume Ferments