Why my does natto look like this (pics)?

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Why my does natto look like this (pics)?

Postby adaweawe on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:44 pm

So I get these little white dots on my natto beans it consists of soy and lentils. This is what my natto looks like can someone please diagnose the situation? I used the commercial natto starter spores. Incubated for about 16 hours at 100 Fahrenheit.

There's little stickiness the strands will break very early on may be like half an inch at the longest and they aren't the big gooey strands even after stirring.

full image:
http://i.imgur.com/tjkNq9Z.jpg

adaweawe

Re: Why my does natto look like this (pics)?

Postby adaweawe on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Just to update, I've had it sitting in the fridge for about two days now and it still tastes very disgusting. There is almost no savory taste, most of what I taste is bitter and kind of mold. But I'm almost certain that there isn't any mold growing because those very careful with sanitation and I don't see any mold.

It just has this nasty bitter taste to it that makes me want to gag. I haven't actually had real natto but I'm almost certain this is not what good natto is supposed to taste like.

I compared some pictures online versus my natto and it seems like the best natto especially the ones from the prepackaged natto companies been of little Styrofoam boxes have a color that resembles a pinto bean. On the other hand my soybeans look more yellowish and lighter colored. Next time I'll try steaming them for longer to see if I can get this dark color on the beam. They really don't even end up looking like soybeans and more close to pinto beans or kidney beans judging from the pictures of the natto in the Styrofoam boxes.
adaweawe

Return to Legume Ferments