tofu question

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

tofu question

Postby Aliyanna on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:40 am

If I took tofu, mashed it up, added whey and seasonings, let it set for several days...would that do away with the harmful part of tofu? I make coconut cheese this way...and wondered about doing it with tofu....got a kiddo asking for tofu...but worried about the weird stuff soy does.
Thanks
Aliyanna
Aliyanna

Re: tofu question

Postby Aliyanna on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:22 pm

I did it!!! lol

It turned out fine. I added nutritional yeast, seasonings and whey...put it in a fido jar and set it on my heating pad and within 24 hrs...it was perking along..with air pockets and such showing. It did have a bit of white mold on top...figured it was kam...so stirred it back in and everyone said it was good. Not sure if it got rid of the
phytoestrogens or the other issues...but was fun to try. What do you all think?
Aliyanna

Postby dinydeek on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:31 pm

I make chickpea nofu(tofu) and I am trying to figure out how to ferment it.. I like your take on it.. I am going to try it. Right now I have a jar of cubes of nofu that have been sitting for a couple days with coconut yogurt whey, water, and salt... no idea what I am going to end up with! :-) Trying to increase it's value, but really trying to get some "tang" to it.
dinydeek

Postby Aliyanna on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:59 pm

sounds great!!! keep us posted!!

I would love to learn to make garbazo tofu! can ya post iy or message me??
Aliyanna

Postby dinydeek on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:07 am

Here is my blog post about making Nofu- http://mitochondrialdepletionsyndrome.b ... -nofu.html

The lacto fermented cubes of nofu turned out great! Definitely reminded me of "cheese" the texture changed a bit, the flavor reminded us of a mix of jack and mozzarella- of course it won't melt.. but thinking if I puree it with some drained coconut yogurt..

I dipped the cubes in rice milk and then gluten free crumbs- fried in a bit of coconut oil- reminds us of cheese sticks! :-)
dinydeek

Postby Aliyanna on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:36 pm

Sounds wonderful!!! I will have to try it soon.
Aliyanna

Return to Legume Ferments