seaweed

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

seaweed

Postby harooney on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:35 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board, new to fermenting, only 2 weeks of wildly reproducing kefir lol.
I have a question which I thought might be answered here. My son loves to eat asian food and makes his own sushi, has miso soup nearly every day. After visiting the asian supermarket buying supplies i looked up some info on seaweed and found this quote:
Although brown kelp is a key ingredient of Japanese miso soup, the researchers at Hokkaido University say that drinking large quantities in an effort to shed pounds won’t work, as the active ingredient is not easily absorbed in its natural form. However, they reckon a seaweed slimming supplement should be available within three years.

My question is, if the proteins in seaweed would be more bio-available if it was fermented? Rather than waiting for scientists to figure out how to put the good stuff into capsules to charge exorbitant amounts for.
I would appreciate any info or a point in the right direction.
cheers,
Helen
harooney

Re: seaweed

Postby 330PM on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:46 pm

I fermented some recently and was wondering if the seaweed itself ferments or if only what I mixed it with ferments since, in its natural state, it's already very salty and therefore, maybe it's "pre-fermented"? Sally Fallon wrote that, because of the "hard to digest" disaccharides, seaweed should be cooked a long time.

Maybe someone who's more knowledgeable than me will post soon.

Sorry I don't have more info., but I'd be interested in knowing if seaweed sugars can be broken down by fermentation and how (is it the typical fermentation method or is it different with seaweed)?

Take care.
330PM

Return to Vegetable Ferments