Using non-organic vegetables

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Using non-organic vegetables

Postby vann on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:22 pm

I was wondering if anyone was, like me, experimenting with fermenting non-organic (conventionally grown) vegetables because of the cost of organics. I'm messing around with some non-organic green cabbage sauerkraut right now, and not surprisingly, the fermentation is going much slower.

Any thoughts, experiences?
vann

Re: Using non-organic vegetables

Postby asharpknife on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Aha! That might explain something for me! I have a batch of non-org sauerkraut fermenting right now and it does seem to be different. Previously I guess I had only done organic, or at least the vast majority.
Google group for fermentation fetishists.
http://groups.google.com/group/fermfriends/

Blog by me.
http://fermfriends.wordpress.com/
asharpknife

Postby vann on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:36 pm

That's interesting, how is it different?

Incidentally, I added a lot of garlic to the conventional green cabbage kraut, and now it smells like...chicken. Fried chicken. Weird.
vann

Postby asharpknife on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:13 am

Yeah, like you said, it just seems to be taking longer to ferment, the cabbage hasn't softened as much as I feel like it should have, and the smell isn't quite what it should be, but it's not off or anything. Oh well, I can wait. Fried chicken kraut sounds alright to me. :)
Google group for fermentation fetishists.
http://groups.google.com/group/fermfriends/

Blog by me.
http://fermfriends.wordpress.com/
asharpknife

Postby Wannabe Thoreau on Sun May 09, 2010 7:12 am

I have ONLY ever fermented with non organic vegetables and, by and large, have never had a problem. I was a prolific kimchi maker for a while. It was always delicious. Haven't had the time lately.

In fact, I would think that fermenting with organic produce would be slightly more dangerous. There is a higher incidence of food poisoning with organic because they fertilize with some really nasty stuff. You can wash it before throwing it in the crock, but you still have to worry about what came up through the roots. For instance, rotenone is an organic pesticide that has been linked to Parkinson's disease. Native tribes use it as a poison for hunting. The big spinach scare a few years ago came from an organic farm. Organic produce, while being 1% of our food, accounts for 8% of E. coli outbreaks.

And non organic is more earth friendly. You get a smaller yeild per acre with organic produce which means that, if you grow organically, you have to cut down more rain forest to get the same amount of crops. You also have to use up to 7 times more organic pesticides than conventional because they are less effective.

So, use your conventional produce with pride. absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Here's an excellent link. Give it a read.
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4019
Wannabe Thoreau

Postby trashymeowmeow on Fri May 28, 2010 8:43 pm

while i agree with a lot of the things said about grocery store organic food. the author is a moron and so are you because you are ignoring a few things.

you are completely disregarding people growing their own food that don't use any sort of pesticide or that do maybe once. small time farmers that sell at farmer's markets that aren't necessarily certified organic but still grow things without any pesticides. Some that are and don't abuse what they are allowed to spray on crops or do it maybe a couple times.

News flash: nothing is ever just black or white

ever hear of GMO seeds and how they totally suck and that if you are organic you can't use them. or would even want to?

being pumped with antibiotics aren't necessary if animals are in a healthy environment to begin with, like uhh cows living outside, grazing in a field eating grass (what they're supposed to eat) Are you living off antibiotics your whole life to keep you healthy?
trashymeowmeow

Postby Wannabe Thoreau on Sat May 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Type the term "Straw Man" into a search engine and see what you come up with. It may be easy for you to argue against GMOs and modern cattle farming, but I don't think promoted or even mentioned either in my post.

I enjoy farmer's markets. I bought some lettuce for salads earlier today. The food generally tastes better because it's fresher and doesn't have to travel as far. The drawback is that collectively they have a huge carbon footprint. Millions of small farms, growing food in less than ideal climates, all bringing small loads of their products directly to different markets, mostly using pickup trucks and minivans, tend to burn a lot of gas. Compare that to a handful of efficiently run mega farms, growing food under the best conditions possible, bringing huge loads of food in tractor trailers and container ships traveling along super efficient delivery routes, to conveniently located supermarkest where all of your needs can be met in one stop. The food isn't as good because it has to travel. But, even if it has to come halfway around the world, there are far fewer resources used in growing it, getting it to market, and ultrimately feeding people.

Great article on locally grown food: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4162

A good amount of the food I eat does come from my own garden. But, as I live on just 1/4 acre in the northeast, I could picture myself getting hungry around January if it were my only source of food. I also hunted most of the meat I ate this year. But, since hunting isn't always reliable, I'm glad I don't depend on it. I'm thankful to have cheap alternatives.

Either way, I am satisfied with the safety and efficiency of most conventional agriculture and have no problem with consuming it.
Wannabe Thoreau

Return to Vegetable Ferments