Is already-fermented then air-exposed sauerkraut truly bad?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Is already-fermented then air-exposed sauerkraut truly bad?

Postby Angel on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:36 pm

(To avoid potential confusion: please note that this post refers to past batches of sauerkraut- not the batch that I made a separate post about today.)

With some recent batches of sauerkraut that fermented and tasted fine, when some became exposed to the air (because I was just starting out and had not yet got a satisfactory submersion-sustaining mecahnism in place) it started smelling like sour cheese. It also tasted like it too, kind of a creamy flavour... kind of... enoyable. :o

I have read about the importance of maintaining submersion whilst fermenting and then for storing. But there was a difference with the krauts that were not kept submerged during fermenting to those that were fermented and then exposed. The former didn't ferment properly and began to smell increasingly cheesy in (imh) a nauseating way. Whereas the latter began to smell like sour cheese and I found it pleasant.

The sour cheese smell/ taste has occured both when the kraut at the top of the jar became exposed, but also when I made a kraut salad that I saved in the for the next day.

Anyone know what kind of bacteria grows on already fermented but then air exposed kraut- that causes the sour cheeseness?
Anyone know about the difference between that and the kind that grows on not yet fermented kraut that is exposed?
Anyone else like this scent and flavour?

Thank you!
Angel

Re: Is already-fermented then air-exposed sauerkraut truly b

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 am

I don't know that I've experienced that exact thing, but a bowl of kraut left out overnight does sometimes taste a little different the next day. My assumption is that if you like it and don't get sick, it's fine.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby 2BetterHlth on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Guessing:::::::::

and I mean Guessing::::::

But, consider. Yeasts.. causing cheese -e-ness.

Have you ever used "nutritional yeast" as a supplement?

possibly go buy some..... make sure the source is good
and as always.... buy Organic.....
I suspect the cheese -e-ness is yeeeeeeeaaasst.
(and yeast in not necessarily a bad thang, either!)

2B
2BetterHlth

Postby Angel on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:47 pm

2BetterHlth wrote:Guessing:::::::::

and I mean Guessing::::::

But, consider. Yeasts.. causing cheese -e-ness.

Have you ever used "nutritional yeast" as a supplement?

possibly go buy some..... make sure the source is good
and as always.... buy Organic.....
I suspect the cheese -e-ness is yeeeeeeeaaasst.
(and yeast in not necessarily a bad thang, either!)

2B

I just spotted your reply- for some reason my board index isn't indicating new posts in my threads. However, at yeast I see it now! ;)

Indeed the connection does seem to suggest a high chance that it is yeast- different types for the one that smelt bad-cheesey and the one that smelt good-cheesey.

Yes I've had nutritional yeast, it can be rather tasy in small amounts.
Angel

Return to Vegetable Ferments