First bad batch of sauerkraut

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

First bad batch of sauerkraut

Postby alisoncc on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:18 pm

Been making sauerkraut regularly for a good two years now. As I am the only one who eats it I tend to make a relatively small quantity each time. I use the jars with wire-lock lids, 700ml - 1.5 US pint size making two jars each time. Also read awhile back that the probiotic content peaks at 3 to 4 weeks, so brewing my kraut has been a monthly task. When a new batch is ready tend to ditch any left overs.

Previously have always used pink Himalayan salt, but had run out so this time used iodised white table salt. Having read about goitrogens in cabbage thought that extra iodine wouldn't do any harm. Wow!! Is it horrible. Slimy, smelly and yuk. Wasn't game to taste it. Binned both jars.

Never had any problems at all with my kraut before, so can only suspect it's the salt I used. Scalded both the jars, and now off out to get more cabbage and hopefully the correct salt - pink that is. Over the last two years must have made fresh batches of kraut probably at least twenty times, and this has been my first bad batch.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Re: First bad batch of sauerkraut

Postby Tibor on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Yes, Iodized salt is a no no. You can use your pink salt or other fancy salts ,or plain pure sea salt . Why ditch leftovers ? Just today ,I finished some 2 1/2 week turmeric kraut I made in October and it was superb and still crunchy to boot.
Tibor

Postby alisoncc on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:01 am

Tibor wrote:Yes, Iodized salt is a no no. You can use your pink salt or other fancy salts ,or plain pure sea salt . Why ditch leftovers ? Just today ,I finished some 2 1/2 week turmeric kraut I made in October and it was superb and still crunchy to boot.

Tibor, with a "conveyor belt" delivering freshly fermented kraut every month, and only able to eat so much, residues have to get the heave. Otherwise I could be overrun with the stuff. :)

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that my main concern is with the probiotic content which mandates opening jars for consumption at four weeks whether I've finished the previous batch or not.

Do share as much as possible with neighbours, friends and relatives, but can only do so much without becoming a pariah. :cry:

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)
alisoncc

Postby JohnDulleck on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:57 am

Alison,

I'm guessing the iodine prevented the good bacteria from taking hold and some other bacteria took over instead.

Love your signature, by the way.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Return to Vegetable Ferments