Anyone tried a hot/thermophilic ferment of vegetables?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Anyone tried a hot/thermophilic ferment of vegetables?

Postby 0cool on Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:27 pm

From my understanding, yogurt ferments are typically done something like this:

1. pasteurize milk
2. backslop the milk with some existing yogurt culture containing bacterium like streptococcus thermophilus, lactobacilus bulgaricus, and lactobacilus acidophilus.
3. ferment at fairly high temperature, like 110F (43c) for ~24 hrs

compare that to a more standard sour kraut ferment

1. Add salt to cabbage
2. ferment at room temperature, like 70F (21C) for ~several weeks

Is there a reason I never see examples of anybody fermenting vegetables with the hot/fast yogurt style process? I almost exclusively see vegetable fermentation recommended in a process roughly like that 2nd kraut example with high salt and roughly room temperature over long time periods, presumably targeting different bacterial strains and I'd like to understand why.

I'm curious for eg how the end product of a hot fermented chile pepper mash backslopped with yogurt culture might compare to a traditional room temperature salt and lacto ferment. I'll probably give this a try sometime just out of curiosity if I don't hear strong reasons to avoid it.

Has anyone here attempted to ferment any type of vegetables with a hot/fast process similar to how yogurt is fermented? Any tips?
0cool

Re: Anyone tried a hot/thermophilic ferment of vegetables?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:15 pm

I haven't tried it and I look forward to hearing about your experimentation!

Vegetables get soft in warm fermenting conditions. It's hard to make kraut in a 80F kitchen because it ends up mush after a few days. In your hot-sauce scenario, that's obviously not a problem.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Anyone tried a hot/thermophilic ferment of vegetables?

Postby mantutuli on Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:00 pm

My dad would kickstart/speed up his pickle lacto ferment by leaving the jars out in the sun for 1-2 days in the NJ summer sun during the day and bring them in at night. Did that for at least 30-40 of my life. I never asked where he learned. If it was something he learning from his parents in Poland 20-30 years earlier, or something he learned from his green horn friends (other immigrants who came here after WWII).

I've tried it myself. Always kickstarts the ferment in a big way, but I'm very hit and miss with my ferments ... failing for one reason or another for one reason or another, including NOT putting them out in the sun at all.

That said, I've had one or two successful kosher dill pickles ferment successful using the sun method
mantutuli

Return to Vegetable Ferments