Kimchi Questions

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Kimchi Questions

Postby SadieAnn on Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:10 pm

First of all I would like to express my excitement about this forum. I can find very little detailed information on making fermented Kimchi on the internet or in books. I have a couple of questions.
The first is regarding the brine. The recipe that I have been using calls for 3 Tbs. and 6 cups of water to soak the cabbage, but then you use the same brine to ferment. It is a bit salty, I don't mind it, but I have to wonder how much salt (or how little) is necessary. I read in a book that salt is necessary in the fermented kimchis to keep them from spoiling.
Secondly, how do I actually know that I have a ferment? I assume that I do as I let mine sit for about 2 weeks before eating it. I read that the magic pH for lactic acid fermentation is 4.1. Could this be used as an idicator?
Thirdly, what is the ideal temperature and time for a good ferment. I have read that it can go right in the fridge. I live in an upstairs apartment and right now (July) there is no cool spot. I have been putting it in my boyfriend's root cellar for about two weeks and then in to the fridge. It hasn't made me sick or killed me yet!!
My biggest concern is getting the ultimate live-culture, lactic acid content.
Thanks for any assistance!
SadieAnn

Re: Kimchi Questions

Postby sevenflowers on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Yes, the amount of salt you use is important as it works as a preservative. In making kimchi, I shred a head of cabbage along with a few carrots in a crock with 1 tablespoon of sea salt and a quarter cup of whey. Pound this for a bit with a meat tenderizer or a long wooden pole. This will be enough for a quart size jar of kimchi and then you fill the jar, press down with your clean hands making sure you have some liquid above the kimchi and then cover tightly with lid and let sit for 3 days at room temp and then transfer to cold storage. (root cellar or fridge) If you are making more than a quart at a time then just tweek it. And always taste to make sure it is salty enough. By following this rule of thumb it should be just right. This is how I make kimchi and the salt content seems to be fine. Sally Fallon has a book called Nourishing Traditions and she has recipes for fermented things that you keep for long term storage. Sandor recommends her.
sevenflowers

Postby Pillar on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:44 am

there's got to be thousands of wonderful ways to make a good kimchi, but here's what i do, regarding brine, salt, and time:

i've never added water to kimchi. but, i've never used chinese cabbage, either...i've always used "regular" cabbage. so i just use salt and mashing with my hands to get a brine. my technique is to get 1-2 tablespoons of salt for about 2 pounds of veggies, depending on how i feel about salt that day! personally, i am going to try a kimchi without salt, instead using seaweed, for the next batch. also, sometimes i'll add the brine from my last batch of kraut or kimchi, to the new one, to innoculate the ferment with the microbial party from my last one.

and as for time, i've always just tasted it every day or so, and put it in the fridge when i felt moved to do so by a good taste. sometimes i'll put some away in the fridge and let the rest continue to ferment.

oh, and as for pH, i think that 4.0 is the magic number because botchillism (sp?) cannot survive below it??? i also believe that the lactic acid producers are responsible for a decreasing pH, so it can be an indicator of a good population boom.
Pillar

Postby fermentfun on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:21 pm

I chop nappa cabbage, slice and cube Japanese turnips, slice and quarter daikon radish, add lots of scallions, garlic and ginger -- all organic. I add very little salt, pound with a stone pounder and put in a glass jar. As I add the weight, there is already enough liquid from the veggies to form a cover at the top.
fermentfun

Postby kimchiguy on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:57 pm

I have a kimchi recipe that I've assembled from three or four recipes found on the internet. It's basically a traditional recipe, using the glutinous rice powder and some powdered, shredded shrimp. I think I enjoy giving it away more than I do making or eating it. With one rare exception (a Korean friend who, surprisingly, complains it's too sour if it's fermented more than four days), everyone raves about it, no matter their ethnicity. So I'm wondering, is it bad etiquette to share here a link to my blog, where the recipe can be found, along with some notes pertaining to the various ingredients, tools, and processes?
kimchiguy

Postby Spazmotic on Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:11 am

Bit of an old thread, but I did want to jump in and say that reaction would be a common one. Kimchi isnt done as a long warm fermentation in Korea. Generally once the batch is made it is left out to ferment for a day or two max, just until the sour develops and is immediately placed into the 김치냉장.. the kimchi fridge.. there's a noticable taste difference when letting that slow fermentation happen, allowing the flavors to blend better into a smooth sour and clean taste rather than the rapid fermentation without a flavor settle. That's not to say that this doesnt exist in Korea though. Good luck!
Spazmotic

Return to Vegetable Ferments