Ale Pails and leaky locks

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Ale Pails and leaky locks

Postby Pillar on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:01 pm

A question for folks familiar with these "Ale Pails", or food-grade plastic buckets with a lid and fermentation lock on them...

I've done several batches of kraut in these things, mostly with success, but I always have a problem with leakage and I wonder if anyone has some ideas...

Here's what I do: I pack the kraut in, smashing it with my hands and packing it with my fists. Its pretty bubbly, and by the time I've got 5 or so gallons in the bucket, its got a good brine going. I try to get all the air out of it I can, smooshing it repeatedly and tucking a flat spatula down the sides to release air. When its about 4 inches from the top, I put a plate on it, then a mug or bowl on top of the plate. I put just enough kruat in there to make it so the lid, when fastened on, holds the mug or bowl down, which holds the plate down, which holds the kraut under the brine. There's usually around 2 inches of headspace left.

When I come back in the morning, sometimes the brine is coming out of the fermentation lock, and there is a puddle all around my bucket.

I can't figure out why this is happening... Not enough headspace? Any suggestions/ideas/experiences???

krautin in k-y,
pillar.
Pillar

Return to Vegetable Ferments