Sprouted Brown Rice

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Sprouted Brown Rice

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Anyone ever tried sprouting brown rice? I am looking into this and would like some feedback from others, and also have a question or two.
First, what type of brown rice, specifically, should be used?
Second, how does it taste?

I understand the short term ferment of this rice forms GABA (gamma amino butyric acid ??) and apparently has some healing properties.
Any comments would be welcome. Thanks.
Jim
Jim

Re: Sprouted Brown Rice

Postby tmaynard on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:17 am

Anyone ever tried sprouting brown rice? I am looking into this and would like some feedback from others, and also have a question or two.

I have sprouted brown rice -- it's very tasty, and easy to cook.

what type of brown rice, specifically, should be used?

The simple answer: the type you like the best! Any brown rice (and other colors as well) will sprout successfully, use your favorite.

That said, my own preference is for an organic rice, and I have three that I like: Ohsawa, Lundberg, and Southern.

how does it taste?

Nutty, creamy, roasty ... tasty! The texture is smoother than regular brown rice.

Technique: put an appropriate amount of rice in a jar, cover with water, and soak overnight at room temperature. Next morning, change the water and put the jar in the oven with the light on (this brings my oven up to 85F). Change the water whenever you think of it: just dump the rice into a strainer, give it a quick rinse, dump it back in the jar and cover with fresh water. Put it back in the oven. When sprouts are visible, it's ready (a day or two).

You can also sprout brown rice right on the countertop (no warm oven necessary ... greener) ... it just takes another day.

Drain, rinse, dump in your cheapo rice cooker, add 1.5X water by volume, mash the button. Set a timer for 45 minutes, no matter when the rice cooker shuts off, open and enjoy!

this rice forms GABA (gamma amino butyric acid ??) and apparently has some healing properties.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I germinate rice because it tastes better and is easier to cook.
tmaynard

Postby setshap on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:37 pm

now that the rice is germinated.
how could i ferment it?
could i dehydrate that?
would it lose its properties?
setshap

Postby Rutabagagirl on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 am

I have an easier way! No heat required! Just soak the rice overnight and what I do is I change the water every few hours until it starts to sprout, then let it sprout like a normal seed overnight/to desired sprouted-ness. Remember that grain sprouts should be short. Then just cook it like regular/soaked rice. My sister is crazy about this kind of rice!
Rutabagagirl

Return to Grain Ferments