green coating on sourdough sponge

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

green coating on sourdough sponge

Postby marnie on Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum and to Wild Fermentation. I've been working on my sourdough starter all week and today I started a sponge in preparation for making bread tomorrow. It has been 6 hours and I stirred the sponge once earlier today... but when I just went to look at it, it had a green 'growth' on top of it. I stirred it in but I am very hesitant to actually use this sponge now. I was so looking forward to my first homemade sourdough bread. Can anyone give some words of advice?
Thanks so much,
Marnie
marnie

Re: green coating on sourdough sponge

Postby marnie on Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Ok, 4.5 hrs later and there's another green coating on the sponge. Has anyone seen this before? I think it's done for and I'll have to start over, lol. It doesn't smell bad... but the green just doesn't look right...?
marnie

Postby Fubar on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Sounds like you have mold. I would throw it out and start over.
Fubar

Location: Tucson, AZ (fall-winter) / Olympia, WA (spring-summer)

Postby marnie on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks - yes, I did throw out the sponge, however the starter was still good and.... I made my first loaf today! Wow, I am so happy it turned out so well! I used wheat flour in the starter and added white bread flour for the dough, so it was about half and half, wheat:white. I just had a couple slices and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I expected a hard brick but it was good... definitely dense but not too much. YUM! I am hooked!
marnie

Return to Grain Ferments