Please help - fermented grains?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Please help - fermented grains?

Postby melanie92106 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Ok, I'm so very new to this that a lot of these posts could be in a different language to me! LOL

However, I hope this isn't too stupid a question to ask...but I'm supposed to avoid all grains while clearing up a current systemic yeast overgrowth that is causing a myriad of health problems.

I've been trying my hand at sprouted grains hoping I test ok with those, but so far, I can't get anything to rise or bake into an edible food.

Is there a certain type of fermented grain or bread that I could eat at this time?

Is so, how do I make it?
melanie92106

Re: Please help - fermented grains?

Postby Tim Hall on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Melanie, I can't comment on whether fermented grains are ok for you to eat with your health issues...I'm not a doctor or healer. But if you want to try a bread that is mainly or all sprouted grains, look for recipes for "Essene bread."

You may find it difficult to get a bread with a fluffy, risen texture using only sprouted grains. The only way you'll get a bread that's similar to what you find in the store is to incorporate at least some glutenous flour.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby melanie92106 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Awesome.
Thank you so much!
I so appreciate your expertise!
melanie92106

Postby catfishtony on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:19 pm

You may also want to look into kefir.
catfishtony

Postby Jane_Whitt on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 am

South America: Pozol

At first glance, some people may think I left the 'e' off the word 'pozole', a traditional Mexican stew. However, pozol is an entirely different beast, an ancient food almost totally unknown in the US, but which fueled the Mayan empire and remains a staple food in Southeastern Mexico.

To make pozol, first the corn must be 'nixtamalized': whole kernels are boiled in a large volume of water with calcium hydroxide (10% w/v). This is a processing step in most traditional South American corn recipes, as it allows a person to avoid pellagra (niacin deficiency)! The loosened bran is removed from the kernels by hand.

The kernels are then ground into dough, formed into balls and placed into banana leaves to ferment for one to 14 days. Following fermentation, pozol is diluted in water and consumed raw.
Jane_Whitt

Return to Grain Ferments