Fermented Oat Cakes

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermented Oat Cakes

Postby sevenflowers on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:23 am

After fermenting your oats overnight...cook some up and let them sit a while and cool off. Then add an egg to them and stir good. Heat up a little skillet and put a bit of fat in it to heat up. ( pork lard or coconut oil works well) Put a small spoon of the oat mixture in the skillet and fry until kinda crispy on the bottom...flip over and continue till other side is crispy. Remember to not put too much oil as this will make them soggy. Just coat the bottom of the pan. Keep doing this with the rest or as much as you want to. These are wonderful by themselves; with raw honey on top....or with your favorite homemade blackberry jam. (smiles) Enjoy!
sevenflowers

Re: Fermented Oat Cakes

Postby Lettie on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:07 am

Sevenflowers, these sound delicious! One questions, how would you ferment oats overnight?
Lettie

Postby sevenflowers on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 am

I ferment oats overnight by taking a cup of spelt berries and grinding them up fresh, then putting them into a glass bowl that has a lid and adding to it a little whey and warm water to cover the oats. If you dont have a grinder, then whatever kind of oats you want to use will be wonderful. Hope this helps.
sevenflowers

Postby Bunny Speakman on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:29 am

I'm sorry, this isn't very clear. I get lost on the spelt berries and amounts of each.
Bunny Speakman

Postby kalisama on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:53 am

hi bunny,
here's how i ferment oats:
1Cup organic rolled oats
1Cup purified water
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 Tablespoons organic yogurt

1) mix yogurt, salt and water until blended
2) pour over oats in glass pot with lid, and stir
3) let stand at warm room temp overnight

when you cook the oats, they'll cook up in less than 5 minutes, so you'll likely need to adjust your oatmeal recipe to accommodate for this.

hope this helps!
kalisama

Postby Zelda on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:34 pm

Hello odd food fellows -
Thrilled to find this site ( and book ) no longer felling "quite" so deviant...
I stumbled on this oat cake thread and am here to say I tried it and that in my haste I fried up the batter w/out adding egg, and they still came out quite nicely , like a pancake, crispy and golden with a sublime taste.
My family rated them 8 on a scale of 1-10. I'm closer to 9 +. They're GRReat ! I'll try it tomorrow w/egg - as it can only be better.
Zelda
Zelda

Return to Grain Ferments