sprouting vs fermenting

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

sprouting vs fermenting

Postby msskylight on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:21 am

I havent found a good distinction between the process of fermentation and just sprouting. I want to ferment to rid grains/nuts of phytic acid, but learnt that just sprouting wont cut it. What is the main difference in the way it is done?
msskylight

Re: sprouting vs fermenting

Postby jotomonkey on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Sorry I cannot be of much help, because I haven't yet had a lot of practice with either sprouting or fermenting grains. But I will direct you to a blog that I think is awesome. I know that Stephan has touched on the subject of phytic acid here a few times:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/
jotomonkey

Re: sprouting vs fermenting

Postby Tim Hall on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:16 am

Sprouting grains/legumes disables enzyme inhibitors and activates certain enzymes in the seeds so the stored energy can be used by the emerging embryo. Fermentation does something similar, but for a different reason and with a different end result.

Bacteria and/or yeasts act on the seeds enzymatically too, but they do this to make the stored energy available for their own consumption (or yours, depending on the point of view). The end result is a dramatically increased acidity, mostly either lactic or acetic acid, which deactivates phytic acid.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Grain Ferments