Ingredients for Fermenting Oatmeal

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Ingredients for Fermenting Oatmeal

Postby tonedefiant on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:55 pm

So if I wanted to ferment oatmeal using apple cider vinegar, how much should I use and does the quality of the vinegar matter? My vinegar only says 5% acidity guaranteed, doesn't mention anything about live cultures.

Currently I'm using 1/4 dry oatmeal, 1/8 tsp A.C. vinegar +filtered water.

I've also seen these ingredients (below) and wonder about their usefullness, anyone have an understanding of their effect on the fermentation?

-Salt
-Whole Wheat Flour

I've researched the web extensively on this subject and just keep coming across extremely different variations. Any guidance will be appreciated.
tonedefiant

Re: Ingredients for Fermenting Oatmeal

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Check out my post in the previous thread http://wildfermentation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3252&p=7231#p7231. You might skip the vinegar and try fermenting before cooking. Acetobacter might not be the best microbe for this particular job since they usually come along after others have done their work. If you want to kill the phytates with shear acidity, you'd probably have to add vinegar to the point that it'd taste a bit odd.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby tonedefiant on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks Tim :)

I appreciate your advice, maybe I'll go back to the yogurt if this vinegar approach proves useless. Can you recommend any other online resources? I've seen em all, just curious what someone with your experience would stand by.
tonedefiant

Postby jeffdomersr on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:56 pm

I fermented oatmeal using yeast. Tasted really good. I also added ground flax seed. About the 3rd day it seemed to have a high alcohol content. Has anyone else tried this?
jeffdomersr

Postby beetoferment on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 pm

Here is what I do, Add together 1 cup of warm water, 1 cup oats, 2 TB of whey, or kefir, or yogart, or buttermilk. Place in a covered bowl overnight. Then in morning I mix this plus 1 cup of water and cook. If you want flax seed, add this after it is cooked. Of all the choices to add I prefer buttermilk or whey. It isn't as bity as the yogart.

Good luck!
beetoferment

Postby r3tic on Fri May 03, 2013 9:47 am

I soak 1c of steel cut oats in 1c of milk with 2T kefir overnight. In the morning I add milk as needed while cooking.
r3tic

Postby Aliyanna on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm

I use kefir and oats. I also add honey and fruit, nuts and coconut. There is also oil and I add lots of cinnamon and a touch of allspice and cloves and it sit out in a fido jar for 4 days....and no cook...just stand back....not just for the opening...but for the onslaught of folks eating it up!!!! lol Can also be dehydrated for snacks.
Aliyanna

Return to Grain Ferments