Anyone have any experience incubating koji?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Anyone have any experience incubating koji?

Postby njgodfrey on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm trying to find a simple, cheap, step-by-step schematic to create an incubator out of a minifridge. I wonder if anyone would be able to help and direct me to any available resources?
njgodfrey

Re: Anyone have any experience incubating koji?

Postby Tim Hall on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:38 am

I have experience with this. Are you talking about using a working fridge so you can both heat and cool? Because this option isn't necessarily the cheapest.

If you just want an incubator (heating only), there are cheaper options than using a working fridge...so long as the ambient temperature in your space isn't over ~85F.

Also to culture koji (or any fungal culture, including tempeh and mushrooms) temperature is not the only factor that's important. You want high humidity, and a decent amount of fresh air exchange. But these can be accomplished cheaply and low-tech too. If I can get a better idea of how tightly you want to control the temp (heating only, or both heating and cooling) I can better explain your options.

My setup is designed for maximum versatility because I use it for koji and tempeh (usually only requires heating), brewing beer (requires cooling), growing mushrooms (requires both heating and cooling depending on species and ambient conditions), and theoretically I can use it as a cheese cave (requires cooling). BUT if koji is all you're interested in, you can probably get by with just heating, and you don't even need an operable fridge for this.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Grain Ferments