pickl-it for sourdough bread starter

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

pickl-it for sourdough bread starter

Postby alise on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 am

I can't see how this would work since sourdough starter needs oxygen but has anyone ever tried a pickl-it for this? thanks.
alise

Re: pickl-it for sourdough bread starter

Postby WWFSM on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:22 am

Haven't tried that specific brand, but would advise against it... mostly because sourdough likes to grow especially when you don't want it to.

So sourdough grows, it only has one way to grow which is up and through the airlock, which if is not discovered in the first few minutes,well, disaster and many bad words happen. Cleaning the angry sourdough from the airlock becomes virtually impossible.

To stop the disaster you would need to keep the starter at less than 1/4 the volume of the jar, which is kind of counter productive to using an airlock to leave that much space in it.
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Re: pickl-it for sourdough bread starter

Postby MarkR on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:56 am

I keep my sourdough starter in a container that I bought three-for-a-dollar at the dollar store. I do use airlocks on my wine ferments though after the yeast multiplication stage. The anaerobic stage is all about increasing alcohol. During the yeast multiplication stage (first few days of a wine ferment), I cover wine with cheesecloth, as air is good at this stage.

It seems like sourdough is always at the yeast multiplication stage. You feed it at regular intervals, and get rid of some so you never really develop the hooch. I would probably use an airlock if I wanted the maximize the hooch production for some reason. Otherwise, any container is fine.
MarkR

Return to Grain Ferments