Dumb question about glass weights

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Dumb question about glass weights

Postby Dostoevsky on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:36 pm

I put a couple of glass weights on some vegetables that I'm fermenting. They work great, but I've got a really dumb question.

What's the best way to get them out? I don't want to risk contaminating everything with my hands, but I don't know how else to retrieve them. I can't stab them with a fork & pull them out, and they're too slippery to scoop out with a spoon.

Do I just reach in with clean hands and pull them out with my fingers?

Thanks in advance!
Dostoevsky

Re: Dumb question about glass weights

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 am

Ooh! I've always used jars, but I just bought some weights and haven't used them yet. I hadn't imagined that problem, but now that I am, it seems obvious. I'd just use my hands, for sure, if that works. But what if you were using a straight-sided jar and couldn't get your fingers in?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Dostoevsky on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:31 am

Good deal, I think I'll just reach in with clean hands and pull out the weights myself.
Dostoevsky

Postby JohnDulleck on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:57 am

I have been using glass weights for my last several batches. I have always just grabbed the weights with clean hands. I have not seen any indication of contamination yet. I think the acid from the ferment is strong enough to kill any potentially harmful bacteria.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Return to Miscellaneous