Fruit Chutney for a baby

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fruit Chutney for a baby

Postby gte510i on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi,
I would like to make my 9 month old daughter a fermented chutney. The recipe I have calls for using whey. My daughter is not allowed any non-mom dairy until after a year (she is a very high risk for dairy allergy)

Because this is for a child, I want to make sure fruit doesn't turn alcoholic. This makes me leery of doing a wild-start ferment. The live chat person at cultures for health told me not to use caldwells, but to use kombucha or water kefir instead.

I haven't had kefir brewing in months, Will kevita do the job?

Are there better ways of doing this? How much kevita (or what have you) per fruit?
gte510i

Re: Fruit Chutney for a baby

Postby Gutted on Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Personally I would not use general fermented food for babies because their immune system is developing. After 12 months maybe.

If you wanted to use something then I would get some probiotic capsules meant for babies which contain the specific cultures meant for young babies. These would be safe and beneficial. Then you could make some breast milk yoghurt for your baby. That would be safe and beneficial in many ways.

Using some fructoligosaccharides (FOS) would sweeten the yoghurt and make it appealing to the baby as well as promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria.

Optibac do some baby probiotics and so do many others. You only need one capsule, which will take quite a long time to culture. Then use some of the previous batch to start the next lot because it should be faster than using a capsule. Doing it this way, capsules will last a very long time because one capsule is only needed after about 8+ iterations.
Gutted

Return to Miscellaneous