Grain Mills

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Grain Mills

Postby Tejon on Tue May 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Hello All,

I'm writing to ask for some advice about purchasing a grain mill. I did some internet research and saw that prices seem to vary wildly. Customer reviews of specific units were also so all over the place that they were pretty useless.

I'm primarily interested in making cereals. That being said, if it's a matter of spending a little more on a mill that produces decent flour I wouldn't have any problem paying extra.

Does anybody have a specific unit(s) that you're happy with? I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks a lot.
Tejon

Re: Grain Mills

Postby Fubar on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Have you considered building a grain mill? There are plans all over the web ranging from building small hand crank mills to large electric mills. It would be a fun project, plus you can customize it to your liking and your needs. I work at a homebrew supply store and our mill is built from a huge drill and a bunch of plywood. It works better than some of the commercial mills. But if you are just looking to purchase a small mill, I would go with one of these:

http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm

They are inexpensive hand cranked mills, but they are also very sturdy and well-built. And I'm sure you can adapt them to be electric. Hope this helps!
Fubar

Location: Tucson, AZ (fall-winter) / Olympia, WA (spring-summer)

Postby Tim Hall on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Fubar, have any good links for DIY grain mills? I'm thinking I want to upgrade.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby Fubar on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Fubar

Location: Tucson, AZ (fall-winter) / Olympia, WA (spring-summer)

Postby againstgrain on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:33 pm

There is no reward greater than building your own mill. That is my point of view at least, it was a great financial, mental, and physical investment.
againstgrain

Return to Miscellaneous