Cleaning Really Dirty Carboys

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Cleaning Really Dirty Carboys

Postby apshaitwister on Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm cleaning out three glass carboys that have been sitting in a friend's side yard for... a little while. They were much dirtier than seen here when we first got them - we're talking moss growing, algae hosting, practically terrarium status. This picture shows post pressure washing.

I had searched online and it seemed that the consensus was to use OxiClean and warm water to soak the carboys. So, seeing no other options that were as highly recommended, I decided to go that route.

I have yet to clean them out fully with a bottle brush, give them another rinse, and then sanitize them for fermentation, but I was wondering if anyone here had any other reliable methods for cleaning out super filthy carboys.

IMG_2921 copy.jpg
IMG_2921 copy.jpg (141.53 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
apshaitwister

Re: Cleaning Really Dirty Carboys

Postby JohnDulleck on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:03 pm

I would probably have scrubbed the inside until all residue of any kind was removed and then disinfected with bleach and water. Then rinse until all chlorine odor is gone.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
JohnDulleck

Re: Cleaning Really Dirty Carboys

Postby apshaitwister on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:20 pm

Scrubbing is the next step. I mean, I would have loved it if all the residue from their years outside came off with just the power washing, but that stuff was STUCK. I imagine (or hope, really) that the rest of what's in there comes off with a good scrubbing (got one of those 90 degree angle bottle brushes) and then I can just StarSan them when I'm ready to make some stuff and they'll be problem free!
apshaitwister

Return to Miscellaneous