vinegar added after fermentation?

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

vinegar added after fermentation?

Postby FPmich on Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:50 am

Because I am new to forums, I'm not sure where to post this question.

I read on fermented hot pepper sauce that most people add vinegar to it to make it "shelf stable', or don't add vinegar and store in fridge.

I'm wondering if the vinegar added, would destroy all the probiotics from fermenting, or just stop further fermenting, and leave the probiotics still active.

Now I know we don't use fermented hot sauce solely for probiotic benefits. That is usually cabbage, and other veggies.

My questions is this: If I add vinegar to a Kraut or Kimchi, "right at the stage of flavor" I like, without cooking, will it destroy the probiotic benefits, as well as stop further fermenting? Or will it just stop futher fermenting, and leave the probiotics in still active for my gut?

Thanks for your help,
--- Frank ---
FPmich

Re: vinegar added after fermentation?

Postby FPmich on Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:13 am

Hmmmn... I thought this was an active forum.
--- Frank ---
FPmich

Re: vinegar added after fermentation?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:00 am

We aren't as active as I'd like, alas. But also, you're asking a highly technical question and most of us are just hobbyists.

My best guess is that adding vinegar will hasten the deaths of some, but not all, of the microorganisms. Further, I don't know what the goal is; I guess to lower pH a little? My well-fermented veggies keep pretty well in their lactic acid bath and I don't know what I'd gain by adding some acetic acid.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Miscellaneous