Is it possible to FERMENT : COCOA BEANS - HEMP SEEDS - RICE

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Is it possible to FERMENT : COCOA BEANS - HEMP SEEDS - RICE

Postby Rawchicadee on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:16 pm

Hello hello :)

I have a huge bag of raw organic cocoa beans , I've done with cracking and splitting them and wer wondering * HMMM FERMENT!?* is it possible?

*I have Organic Hemp seeds ( HULLED and UNHULLED ) is it possible to ferment those, either with VEGETABLES or in a brine ALONE?
*Rice , I have Organic Aboriro rice .. Is it possible to ferment?
*Dried shredded Organic coconut .. is it possible to ferment?
*Organic sesame seeds .. is it possible to ferment?
* Organic dried fruits ( raw ) .. is it possible to ferment?

Are their any plants I should be wary to NOT ferment eg - Dandelion - rose hops etc.

Thankyou :)
Rawchicadee

Re: Is it possible to FERMENT : COCOA BEANS - HEMP SEEDS - R

Postby Tim Hall on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:22 pm

I certainly don't have an answer for all your questions, but I can tell you you might want to avoid fermenting really fatty/oily seeds as the fats have a tendency to go rancid. But don't let that stop you from experimenting.

Cocoa beans are traditionally fermented as a part of their initial processing...exactly how I haven't figured out yet.

For ideas on fermenting rice check out koji, amazake, idli, dosa.

I bet hemp seeds wouldn't be half bad mixed with other beans, seeds or grains in a tempeh.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby KimAB on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:01 pm

You can ferment dandelion... It's dandelion wine. :-)
KimAB

Postby dr.starr on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:05 pm

I have a huge bag of raw organic cocoa beans , I've done with cracking and splitting them

Cocoa beans are traditionally fermented as a part of their initial processing...exactly how I haven't figured out yet.

so this is how its done.
when the cacao tree pod is ripe and the beans are fully developed they are cracked open and consolidated on the jungle floor in a pile. there they sprout and ferment. when the cacao grower has decided that they are done they are dehydrated and sent of to be done what ever with.
now 99% of the time when called raw cacao beans just means that they were not roasted after the sprout, ferment, dehydrated process. i know you can get truly raw cacao beans from david wolfe. meaning that they were picked and dehydrated. and would potentially sprout.

the best way i have found to ferment cacao is with a kombucha or kefir culture. brewed in to the tea. or added to the milk.
cacao contains caffeine. so kombucha can feed of it. and kefir will just wizard it up with anything.

:]

fermentaway!
dr.starr

Postby majji on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:00 pm

dr.starr wrote:

the best way i have found to ferment cacao is with a kombucha or kefir culture. brewed in to the tea. or added to the milk.
cacao contains caffeine. so kombucha can feed of it. and kefir will just wizard it up with anything.

:]

fermentaway!

To clarify, are you adding the entire cocoa bean to the brew? Or are you crushing it into a powder before adding?
majji

Return to Miscellaneous