US REPRESENTATIVE CONTACT INFO:G.M. FOODS BILLS IN CONGRESS!

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

US REPRESENTATIVE CONTACT INFO:G.M. FOODS BILLS IN CONGRESS!

Postby Denise on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Tim Hall's suggestion to contact our US Congressmen was very timely. There are now 3 bills in the House of Representatives that will protect our food supply from Genetically Modifed Foods! There will be many big businesses lobbying against this. Please contact your US Representative and share your voice! As Tim Hall writes: "And finally, one of the most common traits these organism are designed for is the acceptance of specific pesticides, which are simply not sustainable in any way. GMO's are the pinnacle of industrial-model food production. This model can't continue."

This is the summary of the bills:

H.R. 3553, the GE Food Right to Know Act would require labeling for genetically engineered foods.

H.R. 3554, The Genetically Engineered Safety Act, would help prevent the biological contamination of our food supply, would prohibit the open-air cultivation of genetically engineered (GE) pharmaceutical and industrial crops, and would prohibit the use of common human food or animal feed as the host plant for a genetically engineered pharmaceutical or industrial chemical. H.R. 3554 would also establish a tracking system to regulate the growing, handling, transportation, and disposal of pharmaceutical and industrial crops, and protect native ecosystems and traditional farms from the unstudied dangers of growing GE organisms.

H.R.3555 - Genetically Engineered Organism Liability Act of 2011:
To provide additional protections for farmers and ranchers that may be harmed economically by genetically engineered seeds, plants, or animals, to ensure fairness for farmers and ranchers in their dealings with biotech companies that sell genetically engineered seeds, plants, or animals, to assign liability for injury caused by genetically engineered organisms, and for other purposes.

You can contact your Representative by e-mail, USPS mail, or phone. If you don't know your Representative, I have posted a link that allows you to learn this information by typing your zip code. You will find this link the third post after this one. The second post after this one is a sample letter.

(I have so many edits because I keep updating this, and because I don't understand computers very well.)
Last edited by Denise on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:03 am, edited 8 times in total.
Fermentation Blessings!
Denise
Denise

Re: GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD "BILLS" IN CONGRESS NOW!

Postby Denise on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:13 pm

Here is a link to an article about the bills:

Kucinich bill aims to protect food supply from Monsanto, GMOs
December 12th, 2011 by Michael Stone
:

http://m.examiner.com/democrat-in-natio ... santo-gmos

PLEASE ACT UPON THIS! I feel quite sure there will be many lobbyists against this. We, the people, need to share our voice.
Fermentation Blessings!
Denise
Denise

Postby Denise on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:47 pm

Here is a sample of the message I sent to my US Representative from his website. You may copy any part of my message:

Dear Mr. Johnson,

I sent an e-mail to you a few days ago about GE foods. I didn't know until yesterday that Rep. Kucinich has 3 bills that express my concerns. I support HR 3553, 3554, and 3555. I ask you to support them also.

Please send me updates about these bills.

I would also like to know how you voted.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Denise
Fermentation Blessings!
Denise
Denise

Postby Denise on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:07 am

Here is a link that will guide you to your US Representative (you have only one US Representative). After clicking on this link, look at the top right of the screen where you can type in your zip code. It will show you your Representative:

http://www.house.gov/representatives/#state_id

If these bills pass the House of Representatives, they will go to the Senate. To find your 2 state Senators, click on this link. Then
click on the drop down bar and click on your state. Your 2 senators will be shown:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_i ... rs_cfm.cfm

I will try to keep you updated on if this bill passes the House of Representatives and goes to the Senate.
Fermentation Blessings!
Denise
Denise

Return to Miscellaneous