phytic acid, bubbles, ignorance/confusion

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

phytic acid, bubbles, ignorance/confusion

Postby bravebird on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 pm

After a bit over a year of fermenting and soaking and sprouting my way to good health, some things still bother me. I just have no answers. Main concern is the foods that cause extremely violent bubbling, is that a warning sign of tons of phytic acid or sum anti nutrient? Is it an indication of how "acidic" a food can be? I know pumpkin seeds, potatoes and wheat for sure cause some violent bubbling. Once i almost burned my insides taking a whiff of wheat i had fermenting anerobically. It was super acidic, like sniffing a freshly opened can of pepsi. And pumpkin seed and potato soaking water bubble up like nobody's business after a good 12 hours. What are those bubbles? Whats going on? I'm more familiar with yeasties and know the bubblage they create, but what about the other "stuff" that goes on? If we see this stuff bubbling in glass jars, im assuming it might be doing the same things in our stomaches. Would it be best to soak things until the bubbling subsides? Is that our clue to chow down?
bravebird

Re: phytic acid, bubbles, ignorance/confusion

Postby bravebird on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:49 pm

bravebird wrote:After a bit over a year of fermenting and soaking and sprouting my way to good health, some things still bother me. I just have no answers. Main concern is the foods that cause extremely violent bubbling, is that a warning sign of tons of phytic acid or sum anti nutrient? Is it an indication of how "acidic" a food can be? I know pumpkin seeds, potatoes and wheat for sure cause some violent bubbling. Once i almost burned my insides taking a whiff of wheat i had fermenting anerobically. It was super acidic, like sniffing a freshly opened can of pepsi. And pumpkin seed and potato soaking water bubble up like nobody's business after a good 12 hours. What are those bubbles? Whats going on? I'm more familiar with yeasties and know the bubblage they create, but what about the other "stuff" that goes on? If we see this stuff bubbling in glass jars, im assuming it might be doing the same things in our stomachs. Would it be best to soak things until the bubbling subsides? Is that our clue to chow down?
bravebird

Postby Gutted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:12 am

Wheat and potato in particular are high in carbohydrates which bacteria love. Potatoes as you probably know are very high in starch which is very easy for bacteria to break down and munch on. Potato is one of the best growth promoters for many types of bacteria because of it's starch and nutrients.

Therefore stop worrying! Your just speeding things up and getting a faster result. I love optimization and efficiency ;)
Gutted

Postby bravebird on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:20 am

Gutted wrote:Wheat and potato in particular are high in carbohydrates which bacteria love. Potatoes as you probably know are very high in starch which is very easy for bacteria to break down and munch on. Potato is one of the best growth promoters for many types of bacteria because of it's starch and nutrients.

Therefore stop worrying! Your just speeding things up and getting a faster result. I love optimization and efficiency ;)

So the bubbles are bacteria? Am i not being sufficient in my foof prep methods? Would it be best to ferment until the bubbles are gone?
bravebird

Postby Marveen on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:27 pm

The bubbles are carbon dioxide. There will be bacteria present in a ferment though, for most people that's the point.

We aim for good bacteria aka probiotics. Are you fermenting only for phytic acid reasons?
Marveen

Postby bravebird on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Marveen wrote:The bubbles are carbon dioxide. There will be bacteria present in a ferment though, for most people that's the point.

We aim for good bacteria aka probiotics. Are you fermenting only for phytic acid reasons?

Phytic acid is a big reason as I've noticed I don't procees grains or seeds if they arent sproted and soured. I want to get back to eating buckwheat at least but its hard to find raw groats. I just made kasha and after eating it my teeth felt horrible! Of course it wasnt sprouted but was roasted, thats how the russians eat them. I even soaked them for about a day but that still didn't do any good. The buckwheat is dead due to the roasting. I even want to eat bread again but i need to get a mill and grind it myself after sprouting.
bravebird

Return to Miscellaneous