How long can you store beet kvass?

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

How long can you store beet kvass?

Postby mariposa on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:10 am

I made some beet kvass, then put it in the fridge (with the beets still in it)...and forgot about it. Then the fridge got too full so I put it in a cooler...and forgot about it. (I know, this is sounding pathetic! I almost wish I was posting this anonymously : ) Recently I found it- it smelled and looked fine, so I put it back into the fridge, thinking that before drinking or throwing it away, I wanted to find out if it could still be okay to drink. It is probably about a year old! Anyone know if it really could be okay?
mariposa

Re: How long can you store beet kvass?

Postby fivebunnies on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:07 pm

Well.... you could drink it. But I wouldn't eat/drink anything that sat in my fridge for a year that could spoil. Any bad bacteria has had a lot of time to grow in the past year! I know good quality miso can last years in your fridge... but with beet kvass being so easy and cheap to make your best bet is to do a new batch. I'd probably let it sit for a few weeks at the most, maybe a month, depending on whether or not the beets were still in the jar.
fivebunnies

Postby johnlvs2run on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:59 pm

fivebunnies wrote:Well.... you could drink it. But I wouldn't eat/drink anything that sat in my fridge for a year that could spoil. Any bad bacteria has had a lot of time to grow in the past year! I know good quality miso can last years in your fridge... but with beet kvass being so easy and cheap to make your best bet is to do a new batch. I'd probably let it sit for a few weeks at the most, maybe a month, depending on whether or not the beets were still in the jar.

What would be bad about it?
johnlvs2run

Beet Kvass left out too long...will it be ok?

Postby mum2lpb on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi
I had just refilled my beet kvass for the second and last batch and left it out for about 5/6 days. It has been quite warm here too. The beetroot had floated to the top and had a greyish mold on them. I put it through a sieve and the fluid looks fine and tastes a little tart but ok. Do you think it is safe to drink??? thanks
mum2lpb

Postby anahatabalance on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Any item sticking out of the liquid will/can induce mold growth. Some say that the mold can be removed depending on the amount. Again since this is easy to make, it may be better for safety reasons just to make a new batch.

Next round, make sure to have something to keep the veggies/grains under the liquid and should have no mold.

Happy culturing!
anahatabalance

Postby jotomonkey on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:26 pm

The beet kvass question is an old one, but I will just go ahead and post that I read on a blog elsewhere that someone had left the beet kvass in their fridge for six months (which is different than leaving it in a cooler), and the beet kvass was still very good.

My brief experiments with beet kvass have shown me that aging it a bit in the fridge makes it taste better, and certainly, a lot of people on blogs seem to be saying the same thing.
jotomonkey

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments