First Kombucha mushroom: Not sure if it's good

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

First Kombucha mushroom: Not sure if it's good

Postby atlmodgreen on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 am

Hey everyone. I've been drinking Kombucha for years now and have finally taken the initiative to brew my on at the behest of my friend who has been brewing his own for years.

I grew my SCOBY from a bottle of Kombucha I bought and after a couple of weeks, added it to my tea. Something is growing, but I'm a little uneasy about the 'status' of the shroom as it does not have that nice uniform appearance like my friend's does as well as other pictures I've seen.

It resembles icing on a cinnamon roll and is not uniform. I've searched extensively online before posting to see if my SCOBY falls into the good or bad catagory. Judging from the pics I've been able to find; I can't tell. Some show my type of formation as fine, others do not.

The taste and smell of the brew seem right to me, but I'm nervous about going all in with drinking a full cup before I know what's growing in/on this thing. Could some more seasoned pros look at the attached pic and give me their opinion? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0222.jpg
SCOBY_Bad_or_good
IMG_0222.jpg (182.44 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
atlmodgreen

Re: First Kombucha mushroom: Not sure if it's good

Postby asharpknife on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm

I reckon it's fine, it's just a bit delicate looking. If the jar you're using is quite wide, the scoby is trying to grow to fill the surface, so it grows thinner than it would in a narrower container. Well, that's always been my experience anyway. And the colour doesn't look bad to me. But if you've got a friend who's been brewing for years why not get a scoby from them!! I've been brewing for close to a year now and I have so bloody many babies and I hate throwing them out, I'm dying to find people to take them. :D
Google group for fermentation fetishists.
http://groups.google.com/group/fermfriends/

Blog by me.
http://fermfriends.wordpress.com/
asharpknife

Postby becky on Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Your Scoby looks wonderful. I've been making kombucha for almost a year and my scoby's look just like the one in the pic. All you have to do now is taste test it to see if it is to your liking. enjoy :)
becky

Postby Fubar on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Yes, that is a healthy SCOBY. Looks great!
Fubar

Location: Tucson, AZ (fall-winter) / Olympia, WA (spring-summer)

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments