I know this is mold on my kombucha, but have a bonus questio

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

I know this is mold on my kombucha, but have a bonus questio

Postby exquisite on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:09 pm

I know there is surface mold and i have thrown this batch away. I was wondering about the strains of kombucha mother below the surface that are all dotty. Do the dots indicate the KM is moldy, too? Should I keep an eye on my other jars? I am worried I contaminated all my jars (i have 12 i prepared over the weekend, and stupidly dont have a master backup)

and for those who keep a backup, how do you do it?
exquisite

Re: I know this is mold on my kombucha, but have a bonus questio

Postby asharpknife on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Well, definitely keep an eye on your other jars. I've just gotten over a mould problem myself recently after about two years of successful brewing. Suddenly I was getting mould on every batch I'd set up. It lasted for about two months, and I was on the verge of chucking all my Scobys out and trying to get hold of a new one from someone without a mould problem. Then I read somewhere...I'm pretty sure it was on Dom's Kombucha site, that some black teas can cause mould problems, so I started using a green tea I had handy, and that worked out well. So yeah, I've just stopped using the particular kind of black tea I'd been using before, and I guess that was the problem.
It's really hard to say whether the dotty appearance below the top layer of kombucha mama is mould or not...but I would doubt it.
Google group for fermentation fetishists.
http://groups.google.com/group/fermfriends/

Blog by me.
http://fermfriends.wordpress.com/
asharpknife

Re: I know this is mold on my kombucha, but have a bonus questio

Postby Fubar on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:42 am

That layer below is more than likely just yeast.
Fubar

Location: Tucson, AZ (fall-winter) / Olympia, WA (spring-summer)

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments