Kefir Milk and grains

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Kefir Milk and grains

Postby OldRelayer on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 am

Because my water kefir grains were not doing anything, my wife bought a bottle of milk Kefir and starter, the kind you have to buy every time.

I wasn't too excited about it, it all seems too expensive to me. But I am an open guy, so I thought I would work with it. The kefir in the bottle taste very much like a slightly more liquid sour cream. I like a little sour cream on my baked potato but as a drink it leaves a lot to be desired. Is that what I am going to get when I use the starter using milk? If so is there a way of making it more palletable?

I decided if my water grains were not going to multiply I would make a very small batch with what I had. I put some rasins and dried cranberry and let it stand for two days at ambient temperature. There was very little of it but what I did make was very good. A slight tang to it and a hind of fizz, nothing like soda but enough to be very refreshing without all the sugar. I started another small batch but it will go one day of a small amount of kefir for one person and then 2 days for another batch, not sure how much good that will do, I am hoping that they will eventually mulitply, they are obviously alive and if they are alive it seems to me they should multiply.

Thanks,
Barry
OldRelayer

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments