turmeric/ginger soda anomaly

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

turmeric/ginger soda anomaly

Postby blenderbender on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:33 am

Two weeks ago I put together a turmeric/ginger bug which I fed for 5 days. I figured I'd use some to make a quart of soda. After adding a 1/4c of the bug and a 1/4c of sugar (I used coconut sugar) to 4c water, I left it in my typical dark, warm spot on top of the fridge to hopefully carbonate. After 4 days I popped the top to see what I've got and the results perplex me. There was only slight carbonation, but most odd was the consistency of the liquid. It thickened up.... it's like a watered down gel of sorts. Definitely pourable, but definitely thicker than expected. It smelled ok and tasted okay. The only thing I can think of is did the fact that I used coconut sugar have something to do with this phenom? Ideas anybody? Thanks...... Gary
blenderbender

Re: turmeric/ginger soda anomaly

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:14 am

Search this board for 'dextran'.

If you leave it to ferment longer, it might go away.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby blenderbender on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks! Sounds like Dextran's the culprit.
blenderbender

Postby Tibor on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:41 pm

For me carbonation takes about 2 weeks. A suggestion I have is to make a strong tea of Turmeric and / or ginger with sugar and add your bug to that when it's cool. What you are describing seems to me to be a very weak flavor if you are adding only sugar water to your bug.

Another wonderful thing to make is simply a tea of fresh Turmeric and/or ginger with a touch of lemon and honey. It is so wonderful.
Tibor

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments