Burping

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Burping

Postby Bubbler on Tue May 09, 2017 7:47 am

We have recently started making sodas. Our bug is alive and very well, weve made lemonade and mango drinks, after 2 or 3 days its super fizzy. We made a strawberry lemonade this time. Were worried the amount of sugars in the fruit is possibly speeding up the fermentation and are concerned with it blowing up. Will burping the bottles occasionally hurt the process? And how long should we keepmit before worrying about them becoming alcoholic?
Bubbler

Re: Burping

Postby Bubbler on Wed May 10, 2017 8:56 am

Ok, so first of all, im just noticing i titled this "burping", by bubbler. I wasnt trying to be funny, just happened naturally though i guess.
I opened these bottles today less than 48 hrs after bottling.
Result...and entire kitchen covered in strawberry ginger lemon. Whoa, i am amazed at how high that sprayed.
Fun stuff! Going to try just ginger ale and root beer for a bit.
Bubbler

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu May 11, 2017 7:52 am

When I bottle, I also bottle some in a plastic pop bottle. As the fermentation continues and the pressure builds, I can squeeze the bottle and feel the pressure. When it's hard, I put them all in the fridge which both helps dissolve the CO2 in the fluid and slows fermentation.

I once spewed watermelon soda literally all over the kitchen, including my son who was eating cereal and had to have a second shower. I was less amused than you sound. :-)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Bubbler on Thu May 11, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks for the feedback, weve got a plastic bottle going now too.
And Ha....ya we had a very sticky little girl at breakfast too. She was very unimpressed, and took me an hour or two to laugh about it myself.
Bubbler

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments