Hello, user from Argentina

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Hello, user from Argentina

Postby juancerioni on Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:02 am

As I said, I'm a person from Argentina who wanted to ask a few simple cuestions, and found here a place to do it.

And, presentations apart, I think this isn´t the space for this but well, I'll just post my doubt, after all it's a short one:

What's the difference (apart from the flavor) between eating a little piece of living yeast, the one used for fermentation in bakery (i'm talking about Saccharomyces cerevisiae) every few days and eating a fermented food?

If the answer will be: "you'll either get, an alcoholic fermentation, via the yeast, which creates etanol, which creates an alcaline environment, or you'll get a lactic fermentation, via lactic bacterias, which creates lactic acid, which creates an acid environment. Apart from that, they both help digest your food and fiber, and they all help to keep food from being eated by toxic microorganisms" ¿which one is better?

In case I didn't make myself clear, I'm talking of eating something like this: Image, Which, when you mix it with sugar and water for example (when making bread), it starts to bubble cause it's alive
juancerioni

Re: Hello, user from Argentina

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:25 am

I'm sort of baffled. I think this is the picture to which you're trying to link, but the img tag is working unreliably for me and I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. Anyway, I'm trying to render the image here:

http://img.vitonica.com/2011/09/levadura.jpg

And sometimes it shows and other times it doesn't.

Edit: I think it must be an attribute of the web server at vitonica.com behaving against web standards, but I'm not sure. If you follow that link and it doesn't take you to the URL, then try copying and pasting the URL into your browser and it seems that that's working.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:48 am

As to the question, two primary differences occur to me right off, though it's such a complex issue that there must be tons more.

First, the sorts of fermented food I mostly make (wild ferments), include complex ecologies of microorganims, not a single strain like commercial bread yeast. That might have good or bad ramifications (i.e. I'm more likely to eat toxin-producing fungi in addition to vitamin-producers and exotic mineral chelators and bio-available changes, etc), but it's certainly a difference.

The second thing is that when I ferment a gallon of cabbage and then eat it, I'm going to be eating the organisms (hopefully some of which count as probiotic) and but also a bunch of partially digested foods which act as prebiotic nutrients for my gut fauna. A spec of yeast won't act as that, at all.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby juancerioni on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks a lot! I'll now search an learn the meaning of prebiotic (i hadn't paid attention when i did). And you gave me a good point, diversity is good.

Oh and yes, I wasn't able to see the img in the post too, I just hope'd you'd open it in another window. I'm used to do that when visiting other pages :P.
juancerioni

Return to Miscellaneous