New Member Need Help

This is the only forum where new users will have permission to post until they have been verified as a real participant by a moderator.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

New Member Need Help

Postby gutourer on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:05 am

Hey guys new to the forum look forward to learning and contribution (eventually one day).

Looking at doing Saurkraut, kombucha, kimchi, and maybe kefir eventually.

One thing I am strugglingto understand is, if I use an airlock for kimchi do I still need weights to keep the kimchi under its brine?

Look forward to your replies.
gutourer

Re: New Member Need Help

Postby baerdric on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:30 am

I would say yes, although I have not tried it without. My thought is that even if you exclude all mold etc, you still want the product kept moist and in contact with the changing bacterial environment.

And, welcome!
Currently looking at things and pondering about stuff.

Bill DeWitt
baerdric

Postby irie1029 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 am

I agree with the above keep it submerged. BTW I am old school no airlock or any other fancy stuff.
irie1029

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Welcome to Wild Fermentation!

The safe answer is that you need to keep it submerged. But I ferment in Fdo jars all the time without sweating it. The stuff up top does sometimes get crusty and gross by being out of the brine, but it doesn't mold and I can just toss it when I open it for the first time. Once you've opened it, though, you cant count on the ferment refilling the head-space with inert gasses, so it's a one-time free-pass.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to New Users Post an Introduction Here