Hello, I am here to find out the basic rules of fermentation

This is the only forum where new users will have permission to post until they have been verified as a real participant by a moderator.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Hello, I am here to find out the basic rules of fermentation

Postby johnsonmcbronson on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 pm

For example:

Does Calcium Chloride in fermented pickles impede beneficial bacterial growth?

What concentration do I use for pickles, and what concentration of NaCl? As in millimolar - or, percent by weight to volume.

What about fermenting beets? Just 2% NaCl?

How about making fermented soda out of mangos, water, and sugar? Is the only way to ensure beneficial colonization through an inoculation with yogurt whey or kefir etc? Is the only way to test for safety the pH in this case when fermentation is done?

I want hardline rules for fermentation of various things. I am so frustrated from looking online and seeing other units of measurement and some recipe as opposed to straightforward rules that give me tools to ferment whatever I want.
johnsonmcbronson

Re: Hello, I am here to find out the basic rules of fermenta

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:33 am

Welcome to Wild Fermentation!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby johnsonmcbronson on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 am

Christopher Weeks wrote:Welcome to Wild Fermentation!

I feel like nobody has the answers to my questions, but they must be out there. The fermenting sites online are basically garbage and sifting through someone's $25 book is unrealistic
johnsonmcbronson

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:44 am

I can't really tell what you're looking for from what you're writing. And I certainly don't know what "sifting through someone's $25 book is unrealistic" means -- it sort of sounds like you want to know a bunch of stuff without reading about it, but it seems like you must mean something else.

What have you tried fermenting and what did or didn't work?

Also, this board for new-user introductions doesn't get a lot of eyes -- it's mostly for me to gate-keep spammers out of the real boards. So maybe post what you're trying to do with a few questions over in one of the topical boards and see if a discussion happens or people can point you to a source that suits you.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to New Users Post an Introduction Here