hello, im new and need help

This is the only forum where new users will have permission to post until they have been verified as a real participant by a moderator.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

hello, im new and need help

Postby theSpectre on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:26 pm

hello, im new here and find this forum looking for an answer on the internet i hope someone here can help

im fermenting some red chilies for a hot sauce, but i run into a problem
i got mold on the top because i did not submerge with the brine the onion i was using to push everything down.

beside that everything looks good cloudy brine and bubbly ...

what should i do clean the top or toss everything out

thanks for the answer
theSpectre

Re: hello, im new and need help

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am

Welcome to Wild Fermentation!

You'll get more eyes by posting in the veggie ferments group.

The most conservative advice is that if you see any mold, throw it out. There can be toxins in the brine, moving everywhere.

Slightly less conservative is that if it's brightly colored, you should toss it, but otherwise, if there's just a little, maybe you can scoop it out, clean things up, get rid of the onion, and get a little glass jar to weigh it down.

Less conservative yet: In general, what I've done, is to remove every trace of the mold, wipe down the inside of the glass with vinegar, let it air out and then give it a good sniff. If it smells moldy or dusty or funky, I'll toss it. If not, I'll let it keep fermenting, but I'll be extra sure to get all produce weighted down, and watch it every day to catch any floaters. Many, many people think this is irresponsibly cavalier.

Also, you're sure it's mold?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to New Users Post an Introduction Here