Introduction

This is the only forum where new users will have permission to post until they have been verified as a real participant by a moderator.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Introduction

Postby DanG on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Hi All.

My name is Daniel and I have had a growing interest in fermentation. I received ‘Fermentation for Beginners - Drakes Press’ and am wanting to try some recipes from this.

My biggest concern with this is starting to ferment something in the wrong container, and it exploding due to not being the correct set up.
e.g. I have started a ginger bug (lacto-ferment), which is currently fermenting in a Kilner Glass Clip Top Jar with an airtight rubber gasket, although I am burping regularly and I know the process requires the absence of oxygen, is this a suitable jar to use? I have also tried using an empty jar and tying a rubber band around the clips rather than clamping the down however they leave too much of an air gap. Other recipes such as sauerkraut require the jar to be tightly closed for 3 days, is this type of jar also suitable for this (with regular burping?).

Another question is is for example when making Creme Fraiche, would this be covered by a cheesecloth to allow air exchange?

If there are any further guides or books worth investing in please let me know as it would be grateful appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel
DanG

Re: Introduction

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Welcome, Daniel! You should post questions in the regular fora to get more eyes.

Also, my ginger bugs have always been open to room-air.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Introduction

Postby DanG on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi.

Thank you for the reply and answering my question. I do have further to ask regarding this however I will post this in the relevant section.

Look forward to having discussions with everyone.

Daniel
DanG

Return to New Users Post an Introduction Here