Chicago - Rogers Park

A place for fermentation enthusiasts to find others to connect with in real life.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Chicago - Rogers Park

Postby miltonics on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:46 pm

While I have no professional experience, I've been making ferments of one sort or another since childhood.

I would be interested in both sharing what I know and learning new things from anyone in the Chicago area.

I currently am making miso, kombucha, elderberry mead, and sauerkraut. In the past I have made kefir, yogurt, beer, wines, kvass, and wild sourdough.

Milton
miltonics

Re: Chicago - Rogers Park

Postby olivesaxer on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:06 pm

I am in the chicago area - am pretty experienced with alcohol ferments... let's mix minds!

-P
olivesaxer

Postby totemism on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:18 am

I would love to learn :)
totemism

Postby JESSI on Sun May 03, 2009 4:35 pm

live in logan square, and i am starting a fermentation csa. anyone want to join?
JESSI

Postby lindam on Wed May 20, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm in Albany Park, a relative newbie except for yogurt.
lindam

Postby SpeakForTheTrees on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 pm

I think a fermenting community share or CSA would be amazing. I've been making a lot of sauerkraut and sprouts this year, and have been working towards a perfect sourdough starter for a couple of years. I've also inherited a scoby and have been trading tips and techniques with a friend of mine.

Now I want to start trying to make my own vegan yogurt and soy milk, possibly from sprouted soy beans and then use it to make the yogurt and it would be great if there were some people in the city (specifically the north side in my case) to trade starters and do some workshops with.
SpeakForTheTrees

Postby olivesaxer on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:54 am

@damen and roscoe.

have yogurt (although not vegan, sorry), that someone is welcome to use as a starter... i would assume that a milk-based batch can be used to start a soy-based product. I will try it in the next couple of days.

Also have been brewing kombucha in batches of 2 gal. at a time, again... Have both black tea and green tea based.

Also have trays of wheatgrass... alcohol ferments... etc.

Am interested in having someone show me the ropes on a good veggie ferment, want to trade?

p/a/t/r/i/c/k/s/t/e/i/n/k/u/h/l/@/g/m/a/i/l/./c/o/m/
olivesaxer

Postby SpeakForTheTrees on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:21 am

It's been a while since this thread has been updated and I was curious if anyone who originally posted is still interested in skill/starter/batch trading.
SpeakForTheTrees

Postby crandell on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:34 pm

I'd be interested. I live by the Belmont Red Line station. I've been fermenting things for I think two years. I have some kefir and a friend just gave me a kombucha mother. I also started some blueberries, which are delicious and can make a good starter for more berries (though out of season now). And I've experimented with a handful of different veggies.

Maybe we should schedule a meet-up? If we schedule for November, that'd give people enough time to log into sites like this and still maybe make it. A weeknight? Nov. 15, 16 or 17? Over drinks at the L&L (Belmont and Clark, easy access from Red and Brown lines)? SpeakForTheTrees, let me know if one of those dates work for you or if you have another venue in mind.
crandell

Postby RBelieva on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Is this thread alive?
RBelieva

Next

Return to Fermentation Connection