san francisco bay area, usa

A place for fermentation enthusiasts to find others to connect with in real life.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

san francisco bay area, usa

Postby erin on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi folks.

I've been fermenting for a few years and have made numerous things with vegetables, milk, grains, and legumes. I'm certainly in no position to take on apprentices, but would be happy to get together with folks in the area who want to start fermenting and would like to have a real live person (as opposed to a recipe) show them how and answer their questions. I'd like to start leading workshops in the near future too, so I'll post info about that as it comes up (or, if anyone is involved with a venue or organization that might be interested in collaborating or hosting a workshop, feel free to get in touch.)

the best way to reach me is probably by emailing me directly as I only visit this forum now and again. my email address is yeastmail@gmail.com

happy life force cultivating.
Erin
erin

Re: san francisco bay area, usa

Postby rmcclaine on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:58 pm

I too have been experimenting with fermenting Sauerkraut, pickles, beverages, and other random stuff over the last two years. I guess that I started as a remembrance of my great grandmother. None of my generation in my family seems to make pickles etc. any more. I figured since I liked things the old fashioned way I had better teach my self how to do it. I am interested in becoming more skilled in these methods and would love to join a group of like minded people. I am in the South Bay Area.
rmcclaine

Postby Penelope on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi...I saw your old notice and wondered if you are doing any workshops in Bay Area. I live in SF and have a small group (4 of us or more) learning fermentation and would love to have a lesson at my home (storefront in Chinatown) for all of us. I just got turned on to fermentation and LOVE the end results. Want to learn more. All of us do. Please let me know. Thanks, Penelope
Penelope

San Francisco Bay Area, Noisebridge Biotech group

Postby Algoldor on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:53 am

Hi Penelope and Others,
We have recently started biotech group at Noisebridge

http://www.noisebridge.net

called Tastebridge

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Tastebridge

and more recently there is another group emerging, more info here

https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/bio

We are working on different fermentations like yoghurt and kefir preparation, kombucha cultures, honey based whey fermented drinks, water kefir drinks etc. We are learning how to do the fermentations properly under controlled conditions, preparing manuals in order to do the workshops etc. One of the goals of our group is also to develop devices which would make fermentations/food curing procedures more reliable and fun. We are for example starting to develop incubator which would be basically refurnished refrigerator with heating and cooling system and nice user friendly interface so people can have it at home and use it easily in everyday life.
Personally I've mostly experience with kefir, water kefir and yoghurt. In the same time I'm apprentice in Three Stone Hearth Kitchen, where we do beet kvass, kombucha cultures and sauerkraut, so I'm improving in this field. It would be really nice to get together with you and your friends because I am trying now to bring together people interested in slow food movement projects and "catalyse" the movement around the bay with promotional activities, workshops, projects etc. Please do get in touch, you can check my info at http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org
Take care,
Frantisek
Last edited by Algoldor on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Algoldor

Postby nourishthespirit on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:22 am

I would love to make some pickled beets, kefir water, and ginger beer. I'm in SF and I write a healthy living blog. Hope to hear from you!
nourishthespirit

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Y'all should know about Cultured in Berkeley. I'm not sure if they do workshops or anything but I know that I'd be over there (to shop and poach good ideas at the very least) if I were local.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Algoldor on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:46 am

Hi folks,
I've been an apprentice in Three Stone Hearth Kitchen located in Berkeley

http://www.threestonehearth.com/

This project is one of the tops ones in USA focused on healthy, organic and local foods and beverages. From ferments they do sauerkraut, buttermilk, kombucha, beet kvass and honey cooler. They have very well developed free and open apprentice program.

I've travelled a lot but place like this is unique especially because of the community which is just great!
Check it out, it is worth it!
Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck
Algoldor

Re: San Francisco bay area, USA

Postby gomberg on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:19 am

I see this thread has been quiet for quite some time. I would like to start an SF workshop with meetings approximately monthly. I think we can get free meeting space from the public libraries, but we have to be out by 9PM if we meet in the evening.

The topics would range from golden oldies like kraut and yogurt thru newer and more diverse choices, with the oldies being presented once every year or two (with new slants and fill-ins for the newbees) and the latest and greatest rotating thru other slots. We could also have visiting guest speakers as they visit the bay area.

Who might be interested in attending? Would you like to help? What topics could you talk about? What topics would you like to see?
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco
gomberg

Postby gomberg on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:00 pm

I did not give good contact info last time, if you want to be on the email list for the Fermentation Special Interest Group (for Bay Area events mostly) you can write me at dave1 at sfwcf dot com or go to http:\\www.sfwcf.com\ham\info.html

We'll be glad to keep you up to date on the latest goings-on.
gomberg

Postby gomberg on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:11 pm

More news for San Francisco fermenters:
1. New web site, sfferments.com
2. Upcoming talk by Shockeys, see sfferments.com for details
3. Private kimchi party, email me for details. It will be two events on consecutive days (Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun, don't know which yet). First event we cut the cabbage, second event we assemble the kimchi. Recipe we are using needs the cabbage to soak for 12-24 hours before assembly.
My email: dave1 at sfwcfdotcom
gomberg

Return to Fermentation Connection